A LADY WITH A REMARKABLE HISTORY
Veronica was designed and built in two years, between 1926 and 1927, by several blacksmiths of Peschiera del Garda. She was part of a fl eet of over one hundred “barges” used for the transportation of passengers and goods (oil, wine and livestock), which performed a shuttle service between Riva del Garda and Desenzano, at a time when there were still no roads around Lake Garda. The boat was equipped with lugsails and had two masts with trapezoidal sails (like fore-and-aft sails) and a large jib sail at the prow, on an extremely long bowsprit (jib boom). These boats were also used for regattas, the most celebrated of which took place on July 6th, 1930, which was organized in Riva del Garda by Gabriele D’Annunzio.
When the roads were built around Lake Garda after 1930, this type of transportation was no longer profitable and progressively fell into disuse. The war did the rest and Veronica was abandoned in the Harbor of Toscolano. In August of 2001 only two remaining specimens of the original fl eet of “Lake barges” had survived and Veronica, which had by then become an elderly, dilapidated and rusty hull, was restored with immense enthusiasm and passion and was equipped with impeccable style and charm for cruises. She was then re-baptized “Siora Veronica” (Siora in the local dialect means “Lady”).
|Type||2 masted gaff schooner|
|Length||24 m, above deck: 18,50 m.|
|Sail surface||ca. 220 m²|
|Passengers||max. 50 people|